WIP – MG Jesta – 07

Next up : decals. A dreaded step for a lot of modelers for several reasons. Firstly, water decals are a bit hard to handle when you’re not used to it. Secondly, it’s tedious as hell. I usually put a dozen decals or two in a single session while watching TV, so for a build that big (and detailed) I’ll need about a week.

I have several decal sheets. Some Bandai ones (MG and HG), but recently I’ve been using some HiQParts decals and they are pretty cool. Since I bought white, red and black ones, I can get a coherent look on the kit. The quality is good, too, not like the ones I used for my 00Q GN-Sword.

Enough talk, here’s some pictures of the decaled-up parts :

07_backpack

I glued a photo-etch part before flat-coating, but I didn’t add the metal parts yet. That will be the very final step, I’m afraid the flat coat will dull them.

07_feet

 

As someone in the Intermediate group put out, “I have beautiful feet” 😉

That’s about it. Decals aren’t really WIP-worthy so I’ll go straight to the final build :

07_finished

 

Here it is ! But… something is strange… The proportions look a bit odd. Turns out the gatling’s “barrels” are way too short for the model’s size.

Fortunatly, since I plan to enter that kit at the GBWC this year, I’ve also bought Bandai gatlings. I didn’t think they’d arrive in time and I only planned to use them AFTER the Playing with Plamo competition, though.

07_bandai_gatlings

 

The thing is, there’s about a week left before the deadline and I’m not sure I’ll be able to build four Gatlings and paint them (with washing, priming, base coating, chroming and clear coating that’s about 4-5 days of work, not counting the actual assembly). Still, I tried assembling one the see how it looks and behold ! The Bandai connector is compatible with Kotobukiya ! I only have to assemble four “cannons”, paint them and connect them to the existing gatlings. Here’s how it looks after painting :

07_gatling

I finally managed to make a good-looking chrome again… I’ll have to re-do the elbows and knees internals for the GBWC.

Times four :

07_gatlings

As I said earlier in the WIP, I’m not sure adding blue to the tip of the barrels is the correct thing to do on an un-weathered kit. Since I’m completly out of time (for real this time), I’ll just leave it at that and consider it again for GBWC.

And it’s done ! Next up are the completed kit’s pictures. Since I’m doing an actual photoshoot for the competition there will be more pics than usual 😉

As of writing this post, I spent more than 3 months on the kit (January 17th to April 24th) and I’m quite satisfied with the result. There are A LOT of mistakes here and there, but only if you look at it really closely. While I’m not confident I have a shot at winning the competition anymore, it will look nice in my display case for many years.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s