WIP – MG Nu ver Ka – 2

Uh, so almost a month and a half passed since the last update… I blame Monster Hunter World.

With that cold weather I didn’t get a lot of work done, considering most of the customization on this project is done using paint. I worked a bit on the Lupus Rex but since I can’t pose it to save my life I’ve just shelved it for the time being.

I did my (least) favorite thing in plamodeling : seamline fixing. It turned out alright this time after priming. The seamlines are invisible but I did oversand a bit :

seamline_hip

I’ll try to rescribe it but since it will be mostly hidden behind armor plates I probably won’t put too much work into it.

Good news, though : I did manage to find the perfect color I was looking for, and it won’t require mixing !

paint_dark

paint_light

 

I tried three shades of blue. The middle one is Prince August Air “Intermediate Blue” (P005), and the other ones are “Insigna blue” (P091) and “Steel blue” (P087). The ones on the sides are a bit too « blue” for my taste. The middle one is just right and I can’t wait to paint it on an actual Gunpla piece. That satin finish is gorgeous, too, but I’ll probably apply a flat coat at the end of the build anyway.

In the meantime, I bought some modeling stuff off AliEpress and I put the project on hiatus while waiting for it.

stuff

 

The dented things of the left are used to scribe / chamfer. I’m still not sure how to use it properly, but I did manage to make one nice piece :

chamfered pla-plate

The bottom-left thingy is a pin vise, and its use is quite obvious. The last thing, on the right, is used to cut masking tape into different shapes / patterns. I don’t have a use for it yet, but it’s still nice to have. Oh, and it has more patterns on the back but I didn’t snap a pic, sorry.

Back to the Nu. On my quest to FINALLY have some decent looking radiators on the shoulders, I decided to try something new : I’ll use an existing part from a customize campaign :

customize_campaign

I have two of the things. The plan was to make a mold out of the existing radiator part using Oyumaru and Tamiya putty to make duplicates. Yeah that didn’t go well.

oyumaru

 

I didn’t bother taking a pic of the end result and threw it away. I’m still convinced this is a quick and effective way to make duplicates, without resorting to building a mold and pouring resin. It works better for simple parts, with only one detailed side, obviously, but it’s clean and cheap.

Anyway, since I wasn’t able to make a correct duplicate and I already have enough parts to begin with, I used my trusty saw and got down to business :

shoulder_before

I’ve noticed a trend. When I need to do something several times, the first one is usually done more slowly and cautiously and the result is clean and good on the first try. Then I replicate the process and, confident I’m able to do it again since I already managed to do it once, I’m not cautious enough and botch something. Here, the second piece I cut isn’t perfectly straight and it’s bothering me more than it should.

I’m considering carving the plastic in between the radiator blades, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to do it cleanly. And since I don’t have anymore customize campaign parts available, I can’t afford to mess up. I’ll try painting it like that and check how it turns out with the dark metallic paint. Maybe panel line the lower areas a bit.

That’s it for today. I didn’t get to speak about my hunt for the gold paint yet. I can already say I tried several vallejo shades and that it doesn’t like to be painted in a cold weather…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s