WIP – MG Nu ver Ka – 5

So, decals ! At the same time the best way to add details to your kit, and one of the worst activities in Gunpla building if you ask people on the different Gunpla groups. I don’t usually mind water decals too much myself, but this particular build had me use a new brand of “gold” decals and let’s say things didn’t got too well.

First problem : the gold from the decal isn’t as close to the painted gold as I expected. When using small decals, far from painted gold, it looks fine, but a large decal next to some painted gold just looks out of place :

05_effing_yellow

I used a somewhat fair amount of decal softer on the decal before decided the next day that I couldn’t keep it. Well, let’s just say I ended up having to re-paint the part to get rid of the decal.

 

So I stuck with small decals afterwards. For some reason, the decaling process was way messier than usual. The decals were badly pre-cut, the edges were very visible, even with decal fix and decal soft, etc. I whined a bit about it on Reddit and /u/revrendzack advised to add several coats of decal soft to try and fix the decals. With about a half-dozen coats later, even with a flat clear coat on top on the decals, it actually helped a bit.

I mean, it went from “I don’t want anything to do with that project anymore, just throw it in the cupboard and pretend it never existed” to “That doesn’t look as good as I would have wanted, but I suppose this will have to do”. I’ve contemplated for a bit to redo the feet, but I was afraid I would break something or damage too much paint if I tried to separate the parts.

 

05_bubbles

 

Still, that’s a really bad looking piece. So I ended up sanding down and repainting / clear coating / decaling part of the feet.

Anyway, the following decaling sessions went much better. I used a newer blade to cut the decals, I applied the decal fix more smoothly with a handbrush, and I’ve been more generous with the decal softer before clear coating. With hindsight, I think my original clear coat wasn’t thick enough. The most problematic parts where the ones painted in black, and the black paint is flat, whereas the blue is kinda glossy.

05_rifle

 

A bit of panel line wash was also added in some places, like the rifle’s barrel (up) or the V-fins (right below) :

 

05_wash

 

With most of the decaling out of the way, I was still wondering how to deal with the shield. The shield has a really big flat surface right in the middle that is begging for a big-ass decal to cover it. Since I decided against applying a big “yellow” decal in the middle of painted gold, that only left me with one solution :

05_shield_before

FREEHAND AIRBRUSH !

I want to cut this particular post short, so I think I’ll post the detailed method to get that result in a separate post.

05_shield_after

I’m pretty happy with that result. It looks even better with the decals I added afterward, but it was too dark to take a good picture of it. You’ll see it in the next (last) post which should be of the completed build.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s