WIP – MG Jesta – 06

It’s painting time ! As I usually try to do, I’ve put on “paper” several color scheme before settling for the one right below :

 

06_color_scheme

 

This will prove to be VERY helpful when disassembling the kit and separating it into different colors. I’ve mentioned it before but the deadline is a bit too close for comfort so I’ll have to paint a bit faster than usual. This means I’ll have to be extra careful not to paint a part (or worse, a bunch of parts) the wrong color ! Once everything is primed it’s very hard to tell the parts apart.

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 05

As the deadline comes ever closer, I’ve taken less pics while working and I’m regretting it a bit now. I don’t have the WIP for the inner legs nor the chest, but I took some pics of the shoulders detailing. I started as usual, with some big pieces of 0.5mm plaplate cemented to the parts :

05_shoulders_1

 

After letting it cure for the night, I cut and sanded the plaplate into shape :

05_shoulders_2

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 04

After wondering for a very long time how I would go about detailing the lower legs exterior, I finally settled for missile racks to be mounted on, much like I did with my HG Jesta (see first WIP for reference picture) :

04_missile_legs

 

I gouged them a bit when I de-nubbed them a year ago, but that shouldn’t show too much I hope. The already have a 3mm peg so I only had to drill a bit of the leg and the missiles swivel around. I’ll try not to scratch too much paint when I pose it…

 

I really like the way it widens the lower part of the kit. It kinds of strengthen the suit as a whole. The warheads will be painted red, so hopefuly it will also bring some much needed color separation to the legs.

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 03

As time passes I’m getting a little bit more comfortable with my tools and my plaplate sheets. So I decided to start adding small pegs to (some) plaplating work in order to ease the next step : painting.

03_plaplate_v2

As you can see here, instead of gluing the basic shape to the part and cutting / sanding the excedent, I already cut it into shape (a simple one for starting up). I then drilled some very small holes in it and in the corresponding part. I then added some small styrene tubing I’ve had in stock for a while to hold it into place. The process is a bit longer than what I’m writing but it’s actually pretty easy. Don’t mind the asymetrical holes, it’s on purpose (cough) and will help me differenciate the right part from the left. The goal here is obviously to paint the plaplate with another color than the parts to add some details through color separation. Since masking can be hard with some shapes (and I suck at it), it’s easier to get good results that way.

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 02

Second part of the Jesta WIP. Last time I wrote about how I spent a lot of time on two modifications (heels and shoulders) and wasn’t very fond with the result. My lack of experience in plaplating is showing here, and I should probably have done that last after messing around with the other parts first. Hindsight is 20/20, right ?

Next (big) modification is body lenghtening. The Jesta already has pretty long legs, like all Katoki’s mechs, and I added a bit more length with the heels. Taking a page from Ifan Cusianto’s book, I sawed the body / waist peg, added some sculpted plaplates and made a new peg from scratch (not really, I just used some spare parts from my junk box).

02_body_sawed

Continue reading

Completed work – MG Jesta Scorpius

Results are out ! Unfortunatly I didn’t place this time. Looking at the winners, it seems that the paint job was really important in the judging criterias, namely shading and weathering. I know what to learn next !

The plan was to have a ghetto-lightbox ready in time for the competition submissions, but I had to settle for some less-than-adequate natural light two days before the deadline. I swear, one day when I have nothing better to do I’ll build a proper photo studio and snap better pics. In the meantime, enjoy !

08_Bonus_1

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 01

This WIP is kinda special. I’m writing it on January 30th but I won’t post it before May. I’m making this custom especially for the “Playing with Plamo 2017” competition, and the rules explicitely say :

“Anyone who enters this competition with a model kit or kits that have appeared on the internet, which includes but is not limited to blog posts, work in progress, forum builds, competitions, review builds, social networks, youtube.com, online video sites or promotions, will be ineligible to enter.”

So I’m writing it as I go, documenting my failures progress to post it later.

As you may have guessed from the title, I’m going for my favorite grunt unit : the RGM96X Jesta. I buit an HG Jesta Cannon when I started the hobby and it remained one of my favorites for a long time.

01_HG_Jesta_Cannon

Continue reading