WIP – MG Jesta – 10

Now that my parts are ready for the all-new all-different Gatlings, I need to disassemble the kit a bit to repaint some parts I messed up. There are three on the top of my head : the elbows (I messed up the chrome), the knees (same problem) and the shoulders (I really want to add some red lining to the side vents).

Now, I don’t know if you guys have already tried, but taking apart a painted kit is a nightmare. I don’t know, maybe I’m not spraying enough clear coat when I’m done painting, but my kits scratch very easily. I’m not really keen on having to repaint a part (primer – (base) – main color – clear – decal – clear) so I’ll be reaaaaaally careful. I still managed to scratch a part, mind you, but it was easily fixed.

Anyway, here’s the new look of the elbows :

03_elbow

 

I ditched the Alclad chrome for some Tamiya flat aluminium. Dunno why, I felt it would work better here. I don’t know if it’s “better” but it’s definitely “good enough” for me !

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 09

So the 1/144 IBO Rocket Launcher doesn’t look too good on a souped-up 1/100 Jesta, I’m not that surprised, actually. After giving it some thought, I settled for a nice alternative that makes sense in the overall build : I’m giving my gun-totting Mobile Suit a melee weapon, namely a combat knife. Since I have one lying around in my spare parts box, I’ll be using an Astray Blue Frame Armor Schneider. The spare one I got with my Astray Red Frame, in fact.

02_combat_knife

Nice details. There will be some masking involved, but I should be able to squeeze 2-3 colors on that knife. At the very least dark iron as the main color, chrome for the blade and light grey for the handle. Maybe some accent red on the three thingies at the back of the blade if I feel confident enough.

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 08

I know this is kinda confusing, but parts 1-7 of the WIP lead to the Jesta Scorpius Completed build, while parts 8+ will lead to another Completed build post titled “Jesta Scorpius Kai”. Bear with me and my messed-up organization

 

With the “Playing with Plamo 2017” competition behind me, my sights are set on the Gunpla Builder World Cup 2017. For the first time since the beginning of this competition, France can participate !

I’m planning on entering my Jesta but, for obvious reasons, I have to switch some parts around. I mean, I don’t expect a Bandai competition to rank very high a kit that uses a lot of its main competitor’s parts… So the plan is as follow :

  • Finish building the Bandai’s gatlings
  • Replace the Skell Formula main cannon
  • Replace the backpack-mounted rocket launcher
  • Finish those damn shoulder radiators
  • Repaint some parts
  • Build an acrylic base

I have no idea how much time I have for all that. I’ve tried searching for info regarding the usual schedule for other participating countries in 2016 but didn’t find anything. Oh well, better expect the worse and get to it !

First things first, I have to finish building the gatlings. I had to settle for a mix between Koto and Bandai parts for my entry but this time that won’t do.

01_gatling_parts

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 07

Next up : decals. A dreaded step for a lot of modelers for several reasons. Firstly, water decals are a bit hard to handle when you’re not used to it. Secondly, it’s tedious as hell. I usually put a dozen decals or two in a single session while watching TV, so for a build that big (and detailed) I’ll need about a week.

I have several decal sheets. Some Bandai ones (MG and HG), but recently I’ve been using some HiQParts decals and they are pretty cool. Since I bought white, red and black ones, I can get a coherent look on the kit. The quality is good, too, not like the ones I used for my 00Q GN-Sword.

Enough talk, here’s some pictures of the decaled-up parts :

07_backpack

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 06

It’s painting time ! As I usually try to do, I’ve put on “paper” several color scheme before settling for the one right below :

 

06_color_scheme

 

This will prove to be VERY helpful when disassembling the kit and separating it into different colors. I’ve mentioned it before but the deadline is a bit too close for comfort so I’ll have to paint a bit faster than usual. This means I’ll have to be extra careful not to paint a part (or worse, a bunch of parts) the wrong color ! Once everything is primed it’s very hard to tell the parts apart.

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 05

As the deadline comes ever closer, I’ve taken less pics while working and I’m regretting it a bit now. I don’t have the WIP for the inner legs nor the chest, but I took some pics of the shoulders detailing. I started as usual, with some big pieces of 0.5mm plaplate cemented to the parts :

05_shoulders_1

 

After letting it cure for the night, I cut and sanded the plaplate into shape :

05_shoulders_2

Continue reading

WIP – MG Jesta – 04

After wondering for a very long time how I would go about detailing the lower legs exterior, I finally settled for missile racks to be mounted on, much like I did with my HG Jesta (see first WIP for reference picture) :

04_missile_legs

 

I gouged them a bit when I de-nubbed them a year ago, but that shouldn’t show too much I hope. The already have a 3mm peg so I only had to drill a bit of the leg and the missiles swivel around. I’ll try not to scratch too much paint when I pose it…

 

I really like the way it widens the lower part of the kit. It kinds of strengthen the suit as a whole. The warheads will be painted red, so hopefuly it will also bring some much needed color separation to the legs.

Continue reading